Future Ready Iowa Virtual Mentoring is a statewide networking and professional development opportunity that connects students pursuing careers in high-demand fields with professionals in the workforce. It was developed to support the success of the Future Ready Iowa Grant and Last-Dollar Scholarship programs, moving Iowa toward its goal of ensuring that 70 percent of the workforce has education or training beyond high school by 2025.
Eligible students include recipients of the Future Ready Iowa Last-Dollar Scholarship, who are pursuing programs of study at an Iowa community college, accredited private college, or university. Through engaging in this career mentoring program, students will establish meaningful career connections and strengthen their job readiness skills.
How It Works
- Mentoring is delivered online through video call and messaging. Meeting in person is also encouraged!
- Students are matched with mentors based on their program, career goals, and personality.
- The average time commitment is 1 hour/month.
- The mentoring relationship can be either short or long-term. In most cases, matches remain connected through graduation/program completion and job placement.
- Engagement includes resume review and practice networking and mock interviewing.
Why Become a Mentor?
- DEMONSTRATE your commitment to your field
- SHARE your knowledge, connections, and experience
- GUIDE a student in developing their skills and goals
- CHANGE a student's life (and possibly your own)
Why Become a Mentee?
- NETWORK with professionals in the workforce
- LEARN job readiness strategies and skills
- DEVELOP communication and leadership skills
- EXPLORE professional development opportunities
One of the greatest values of mentors is to see ahead what others cannot see and to help them navigate a course to their destination.
- John C. Maxwell